Here is how to “deck the halls” without bringing pests inside.
- Inspect: Check out trees, garland and firewood for potential hitchhikers, and holiday decoration boxes, too, before you bring them inside. Look carefully for insects, nests or eggs. If insect eggs hatch inside the home, a major infestation can happen quickly.
- Shake it out: dislodge bugs and loose material outside.
- Vacuum: Indoors, use your most effective pest control tool, your vacuum, to suck up pests you see in and around the tree, garland or firewood pile. Always dispose of the vacuum bag or clean out the canister when you are finished. Never leave the used bag or uncleaned canister in the house. Insect pests are talented escape artists!
- Do Not Spray! Never use over-the-counter pesticides to spray a Christmas tree, garland or firewood. They can be dangerous to your health and can also be flammable.
- Call a Professional: Do-It-Yourself tips are very helpful but when pest related situations get out of hand it’s time to call in the experts. You may be experiencing infestations that are unrelated to the decorations and the pest control professional can take care of them fast and safely, giving you time to get back to enjoying the festivities in a pest free home.
Perhaps the most important step you can take to prevent pests during the holidays comes at the end of each season, when it’s time to take down the tree and pack up the decorations. Store holiday decor in hard, plastic bins with tightly sealed lids instead of cardboard boxes or bags that can easily be chewed through. This will save you money in the long run, you won’t be throwing out broken and soiled decorations and you will be preserving those family heirlooms for future generations.
If you are having trouble finding the perfect gift, for that person on your list that has everything, consider giving them the gift of a pest free home. Call in the professionals of Corky’s Pest Control, and pests will be a problem, no more.